Ever since I decided to change my thesis topic to a study of medieval smiths and their work, Hugh and Christopher have been suggesting I join them at their weekly blacksmithing evenings. They started this with Christopher's son, Dave, and have made a forge, set up a few anvils, and started a regular back-yard blacksmith's smithy. It's a lot of fun. I've been twice now, and it's a fun learning curve. The metal looks very neat when it's all glowing and maleable, and I sort of wish there was a way to keep it looking that way... It's kind of surprising that banging on something with a hammer can shape it smoothly, but it happens... somehow.
So far I've made two hooks, which are proudly on display in my kitchen. One is holding a series of sealed bags containing a lot of dried fish I brought back from Iceland - gotta keep it away from the cats somehow! I'm trying to make a viking-ship candle-holder... but so far just practicing making the "tail" of the dragon-ship... It's a lot of fun, and definitely the funnest part of my thesis research...
These are photos of the forge. It doesn't get hot enough to weld the iron, but just hot enough to shape it. And here's Hugh using a more modern way of cutting the iron into smaller pieces. I have not found that sparks fly off the anvil as you pound hot iron with a hammer, but maybe I'm not doing it right, or maybe the metal isn't quite hot enough...
In more cat-like news: today is the THIRD day in a row that I have found a rather dead or dying mouse in the apartment. Mice have been known to infiltrate my pantry sometimes, and meet their doom in a trap. But I have NEVER known mice to enter the apartment itself. Ava has been THRILLED at the hunting opportunities. She is always VERY proud to have caught a mouse, and she has this rather maniacal blood-thirsty purr that's quite funny and rather terrifying. To my knowledge these are the first mice she's ever encountered. So far as I can tell she's not interested at all in eating the mice. Just 'playing' with them until they do not play any more. I have only found one alive so far. The other two were decidedly dead and not so much fun as playmates any more... Ajax doesn't seem so interested in the mice. Or maybe he is, but Ava is so bloody terrifyingly protective of HER kills that he doesn't dare come near them.
4 comments:
shit man, those better be safety glasses.
Looks cool... heh heh... get it.. cool...
Yes Ava seems the type to protect her kills even if they aren't fun anymore... and Ajax seems the type to be plenty afraid of her after she kills something.
Yup, that's an accurate description of Ava and Ajax! Blacksmithing is sooooo COOL, it's HOT! Are we suffering from some degenerative sense-of-humour disease or something? Oh dear...
Oh, and if anyone would like to leave a comment, please identify yourself so I know who it is! FYI - yes, we wear all the appropriate safety gear while blacksmithing!
hi Leif,
the safety comment was form me, of course! :)
Post a Comment